Only 12 months old, Bare Cremation is a venture-backed, direct-to-consumer tech startup offering Australians a simple, affordable and transparent way to arrange – or prepay – a funeral online.
In short, we didn’t like the way the funeral industry worked. We didn’t like that you had to visit a funeral home, and be sold expensive funeral services that were overpriced, pre-packaged and rushed. We also didn’t like that, if you wanted to prepay your funeral, you were typically limited to funeral insurance – an industry so broken that there’s now a Royal Commission into it.
So, we fixed it.
Bare Cremation is Australia’s first entirely online funeral company. Arrange (or prepay) a funeral online, in under five minutes, for a fraction of the cost of traditional funeral homes. We’re backed by some of Australia’s highest-profile investors and we’re looking for a senior developer to lead the technical charge in digitising the end-of-life phase of life.
Bare is hiring a senior full-stack engineer (with a front end focus) to transition us from agency ownership to an in-house technical capability.
Working with our Product and UX Manager, you will be helping us think through and build a product that makes the end of life process more human and easier to navigate. You’ll do that by giving people the tools, empathy, and empowerment they need to get through what is a very difficult time.
In the short term, there are four key products to be built:
- Go Your Own Way: Funerals in Australia are generally one-size-fits-all. We want to build a tool (and, in time, a marketplace) to support families in arranging a non-traditional funeral (think hot air balloon ceremonies, scattering ceremonies etc);
- Bare Witness: Grief support is done terribly in Australia. We want to provide people with the resources, tools and community support to make the grieving process easier;
- Post Life Administration: It’s really hard to know what to do when someone dies. We want to build a tool that makes the post-life administration process easier for families, so they can focus on what matters most;
- End of Life CRM: The 60+ consumer is often forgotten in Australia. We want to give our prepaid customers a tool to manage their end of life; a single place to get a prepaid funeral, an online will and a collate their life into a digital memory box.
Our product set will need to be well designed, empathic and incredibly easy for our customers (many of who aren’t digitally native) to use.
The tech stack
The current tech is built in React and AWS. We’ll leverage off-the-shelf solutions as much as possible in the short term, so we can ship products quickly and get them in the hands of our customers.
What’s in it for you?
At Bare, we’re on a mission to change the industry. Senior Australians often get overlooked, and we want to fix that. Join us during the early days. We offer:
- ability to own a product that will have an outsized impact on customers (who will use our product at one of the most difficult times of their lives);
- a friendly, supportive environment – people love what they do at Bare;
- flexible working environment and lots of autonomy;
- amazing opportunities for personal growth, promotion and career development (we’re growing extremely quickly, and you’re joining on the ground floor);
- competitive remuneration package with performance bonuses;
- the ability to make a real difference – our customers are incredibly grateful for the service we provide.
How to Apply?
If this role sounds like you, and you’re passionate about what we’re doing, reach out to Sam directly at firstname.lastname@example.org